Mechanical engineering emerged as a field during the industrial revolution in Europe in the 18th century; however, its development can be traced back several thousand years around the world. Mechanical engineering science emerged in the 19th century as a result of developments in the field of physics. The field has continually evolved to incorporate advancements in technology. In this 21st century mechanical engineers are pursuing developments in such fields as composites, mechatronics, and nanotechnology. Mechanical engineering overlaps with aerospace engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, petroleum engineering, and chemical engineering to varying amounts. Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Thus it is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.
In a way, mechanical engineers are involved in creating the future. They are the driving force behind many of our technologies and industrial processes including almost all the innovative products in our modern world. They could work in many industries including private or public sector industries of various types, and their work varies by industry and function. With the rapid rate of expansion in the industrial sector, the employment potential for mechanical engineers is very high. Fresh graduates find employment in the government sector like Defense Organizations, Service Sectors, Railways, Energy Sector, Power Sectors, Agriculture Sector etc. Mechanical Engineers are also required in automobile, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and oil refining, fertilizers and chemical etc.
MIET’s Mechanical Department is comprised of eminent faculty members like ex professors from BESU, well equipped laboratories and up-to-date industry oriented workshop where students from all the streams can get individual exposure on basic mechanical processes in following various shops.
- Machines shop - Machine shop houses lathes, milling machines, drilling machines, shapers, power hacksaw, bench grinders etc. along with their respective attachments and tools.
- Fitting shop - Here the students are given filing, marking, punching, blanking and metal cutting experiences with adequate tools
- Carpentry shop - This ship has planers, hacksaws and other carpentry tools.
- Welding ship – It is equipped with MIG, TIG, gas-welding sets and arc welding sets along with all the necessary tools.
- Foundry shop – It consists of various patterns, sand preparing and mould preparing equipments.
Click here to view Mechanical Workshop